June 16, 2012
Master of Arts in Art Therapy Graduate Students
Stephen Joy and Andrea Kovacs
"Truths" — Statement was made by almost all people
"Trends" — Statement made by many people
"Unique Ideas" — Statement made by only one or two people but with remarkable insight
1. Why Albertus?
- Only program in CT
- Small class sizes
- Cheaper than other schools (in cities)
- A variety of theoretical viewpoints and professors
- Spiritual approach in MAAT program
- Warm/nurturing environment
- Bigger psychology component than other programs
2. How can we bring greater attention to, and awareness of, what we do here at Albertus?
- Community outreach (such as Experiential Learning Day, Lisa Furman’s outreach)
- School college fairs
- Media coverage, online outreach on the programs and opportunity offered
- Strengthen professional networking
- Success of alumni – spread awareness of [alumni professional] achievements
body class or seminar offerings worth credits [one credit or CEU] to
encourage active word-of-mouth regarding the programs the school offers
in the New Haven center where we could display art therapy art work,
with detailed information about Art Therapy as a growing field
3. How can we proactively meet the needs of students and potential employers in a global economy?
- Networking – career fairs, email alerts/job postings
- More multi-cultural classes
- Goal to attract different cultures among students/faculty
- Mentor opportunities outside state and country
- More forums –more outside opportunities for teachers and students to connect; town hall meetings
- Cyberspace - website where employers post ideas + needs + feedback
- Affordable study abroad opportunities
4. What will make Albertus relevant ten years from now?
- Keep up to date with technology, educational trends, and student needs (including technology in art and art therapy)
- Expansion of art therapy program (e.g. studio space and materials)
5. If you were going to give several million dollars to the College, for what would you give it – and why?
- Having up to date books in the library and more access to diverse publications.
- Art studio space/materials
- Scholarships for graduates
- Community outreach
- Exchange programs & travel [study related travel programs]
- Graduate student housing
- Graduate student IDs
- Distribute [the money] among individual programs
- Improving cafeteria
- Outdoor classes
6. What could Albertus do better? What is holding the College back from achieving this goal?
- Outreach in other schools, community and within school itself.
- Better socialization between all students
- IT Department - need reliable computers, printers, and support
- Art Studio (at least one)
- Feels empty compared to [other] universities. It feels like a glorified high school. [added during discussion]
- Commuter transportation (shuttle, bus from train station)
- Better communication between administrative departments (business office, financial aid, etc.)
- Newer facilities
- Wider variety of graduate class times and days
Return to Interview Design Page
- Having student IDs
- Having health insurance